Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hello 'Ol Kentuck

I successfully arrived in Kentuky 3 days ago...since then shit has happened.  Randomly, my spare tire exploded.  Curious.



It's wet here, like really wet, I've never seen such fungus growing on everything before.

 I climbed a few days in rain and shine, after every climb here I feel like I just got out of a shower...a sweat shower.  It's heinous, it must be around 80% humidity every day!  I have a sweat band that has proven a mandatory piece of climbing gear.

There are dangers in the Red, Mondo found this out the hard way three days ago.  While walking along a trail, Mondo was 20 feet ahead of me then suddenly started squealing and sprinted back to me. She parked herself between my legs cowering and wailing in pain.  I had no clue what had happened, she wouldn't let me touch her leg at all and kept squealing for several minutes.  Finally she settled down a bit and I carried her back to our packs.  I wasn't sure if she needed a vet as she wasn't whimpering any more and seemed to be settling.  Eric thought she might need to go...as soon as I spotted the swelling in her leg I agreed with Eric, she needed a vet ASAP.

After a quick drive up the road to a veterinarians office we found out that she had most likely been bitten by a copperhead snake.  While not fatal, it's extremely painful and there's a lot of swelling.  We got her  pain killers, ant-inflammatories and antibiotics.  Still after two days her leg is pretty swollen and she's still limping around on it.  Hopefully she'll be kicking again in a couple days, till then I get to carry her up to any crag we go to. Yay!  Thankfully she'll be okay though.


Day 2 post bite

Day 3 post bite
My next post will contain awesome sendage, happy stories of Mondo chasing critters and general well being...I hope...

1 comment:

  1. Yo, Scott! Scary stuff with Mondo. Damn. Know dogs who've been bit by rattlesnakes. Glad to know she's okay.

    I finally got a blog post out from Ten Sleep when June and I were hanging out with you, Mondo and friends. Also linked your blog off the side of mine. Check it out, and don't miss the bonus Mondo video footage at the bottom.

    http://millcreekreport.blogspot.com/2012/10/three-times-ten-sleep-part-2.html


    Cheers!

    -Ken T.

    ReplyDelete