Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mission find home; Flagstaff

After our 32 hour drive Mondo and I arrived in Flagstaff Arizona.  We saw lots of interesting things on our drive out.  Mainly fat people.  Sweet mother of Pearl, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Texas must be the fattest states in the nation.   Everyone is massively obese in these states.  It was bizarre to arrive in Arizona and feel like something was off...it was the fit athletic people!  I hadn't seen one in a week!  Northern Texas reminds me of pictures of Soviet Russia, without the bullet holes in all the buildings.

I met up with Dustin and his dogs in Priests Draw.  I only took pictures of Sam, as Milo has yet to do anything more exciting than sit and stare at me...Sam basically does the same, she just looks better doing it.

The climbing in Flagstaff is generally STTTTTEEP, really freaking steep.


I stayed with Dustin and Adriane for the better part of 2 weeks, maybe a bit longer.  Climbing two days on and a day off for the most part.  From the first day, not being able to do anything on the steeper problems, I knew it was going to be a bit of a rough learning curve.  By the end though, I was able to put down problems that completely shut me down my first day, like Floor Pie, the hardest V6 ever created and others like Wife Beater, Move and Grove Barbie, Cosmic Bicycle, all rated V8 on 8a, though general consensus is around V6-8 on all problems, all fantastic!

All around it was great to finally make it down to Flagstaff.  I've been trying to figure out where I want to live next and this place is very high on the list.  Very little precipitation, climbing all year round if you are willing to drive 4 hours to Vegas, awesome people, small town but with everything you could hope from a big city.  They have 3 walmarts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment